Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
WELCOME TO THE AC!D FORUMS! - BE ACTIVE & RESPECT OTHERS!
COMPETITIVE RECORD - PLAYED 45 - WON 42 - LOST 3
BLACK OPS ESCALATION MAP PACK - RELEASE DATE - 10 / 06 / 2011
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 149 on Thu 22 Jun - 8:33
Latest topics
» Call of Duty 2015
Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Icon_minitimeby jcb94 Sat 28 Feb - 23:03

» What is your favourite car?
Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Icon_minitimeby bujj Sat 19 Oct - 0:32

» Ghosts clans
Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Icon_minitimeby swann123 Fri 11 Oct - 20:01

» What is your favourite PC game?
Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Icon_minitimeby SekleNeejil Fri 2 Aug - 18:37

» Competitive Black Ops 2
Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Icon_minitimeby MicroSnipe Fri 31 May - 6:14

» BOps 2 League Team
Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Icon_minitimeby boultonboys Thu 16 May - 3:56

» Dead island
Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Icon_minitimeby ArtieLange Thu 9 May - 20:10

» The Funnies Thread!
Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Icon_minitimeby ArtieLange Thu 9 May - 20:08

» Something I've Been Working On.
Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Icon_minitimeby MannyAnny Mon 29 Apr - 19:10

» Which Headset ?
Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Icon_minitimeby MannyAnny Mon 29 Apr - 19:01

» Favourite Actor?
Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Icon_minitimeby Colourcar Sat 13 Apr - 0:12

» What football team do you support?
Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Icon_minitimeby Colourcar Sat 13 Apr - 0:11

» PLaying about with Autofilters
Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Icon_minitimeby bujj Thu 7 Mar - 2:09

» Introduce yourself!!
Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Icon_minitimeby PARADOX_v1 Wed 27 Feb - 10:23

» F**king PSN Network
Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Icon_minitimeby No:051184 Sun 20 Jan - 2:07

Top posting users this week
No user
Most active topic starters
PARADOX_v1
Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Voting_barElectronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising I_voting_barElectronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising I_vote_rcap 
No:051184
Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Voting_barElectronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising I_voting_barElectronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising I_vote_rcap 
Psychosocials
jcb94
milfer
Phenomenal-
bujj
karriu
skillzkid
Evanss_93
Gallery
Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Empty
News 4 Gamers
Console Gaming
GameBattles
GameBattles
PS3 Leaderboards
PS3 Leaderboards
PSN
PSN
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Statistics
We have 215 registered users
The newest registered user is SekleNeejil

Our users have posted a total of 34689 messages in 2113 subjects
Most Viewed Topics
The Signature Centre
What Song Are You Listening To?
The Funnies Thread!
free movies on your iPod touch/iPhone (jailbroken only)
black ops player cards.
Black Ops Emblems
MW3 banned in UK?
Black Ops countdown timer
Introduce yourself!!
PSN is down again
Most active topics
The Signature Centre
What Song Are You Listening To?
The Funnies Thread!
E3 LIVE STREAM
Medal Of Honour Beta 21st June 2010
Introduce yourself!!
Red Dead: Verdict So Far?
Join the Acid Gamers Elite Clan
What football team do you support?
PSN is down again
Top posting users this month
No user
Top posters
PARADOX_v1 (3708)
No:051184 (3131)
somepepeshit (2924)
jcb94 (2707)
Psychosocials (2399)
karriu (1946)
milfer (1837)
Phenomenal- (1581)
skillzkid (1559)
REDROB7 (1545)

Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

Go down 
AuthorMessage
PARADOX_v1
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
PARADOX_v1

AC!D Points : 9780

Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Empty
PostSubject: Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising   Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Icon_minitimeTue 6 Oct - 21:45

Codemasters’ Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising arrives at UK retail this Friday as the successor to 2001’s Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis. With the original release developed by Bohemia Interactive – having since moved on to the ArmA series, each of the two instalments considered glitchy successes in their own right – this sequel developed internally at Codemasters faces competition almost solely from it’s predecessors’ author. ArmA II released earlier this year, and while it maintained a respectable visual standard it’s clear from only a brief look that Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising delivers more confidence in both the quality of it’s setting and furniture. But in the age of high-definition clarity, visuals aren’t everything, and there needs to be a lot more substance in Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising if it’s to stand-up as the most realistic war simulator available in today’s market.

Set on a poetically interpreted vision of the real-world island of Kiska, renamed Skira here, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising casts the player as the squad commander of a US fireteam sent to the island to support Russian military operations on Skira as they defend against Chinese incursions on their mainland border. The game begins with an introduction to the island of Skira and how little else but war has featured in its history. And now, with untapped oil reserves found, little else but war appears to be in its future. With Russian forces predisposed, there are few friendly faces on Skira, and ensuring the safe passage of US military both locally and in the wider operation is essential for success.

The island itself is beautifully detailed throughout it’s stunning 220 km2 area, with recognisable landmarks scattered throughout. The first mission tasks the player with assaulting the area located around a lighthouse (as a secondary objective), and many other such features exist throughout it’s landmass. The sheer range of terrain types is also fantastic, and more than simply an aesthetic change as with the knowingly bland Red Faction: Guerrilla. Skira provides Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising with beaches, lush green fields, dense forests, military outposts and civilian housing, steep inclines and long winding valleys, lakes and flatland. A large mountain ridge provides some fantastic tactical opportunities and the dormant volcano will be the highlight of the map for many, but the real star of the show is quite simply how seamlessly it all fits together, without loading delays or draw-distance issues.

The structure of the missions the player is tasked with provide plenty of room for interpretation. Each mission consists of both primary and secondary objectives, though the secondary is not essential for completion, and on the default difficulty setting are clearly labelled destinations. Most objectives typically involve taking-out a specific military asset, creating a path for friendly units or capturing and holding significant area of the map, though in reality such story dressing disguises the fact that all involve the same combination of deliberately cautious ground assaults. The freedom in approach comes in that of the equipment you choose to utilise and the use of your teammates within the environment.

The weaponry a player is equipped with provides decent offensive capabilities at both long and short range, and can be equipped with numerous modifiers to the realistic ballistics system, but it’s the number of additional firepower options available that offer room for improvisation. Calling in barrages of covering fire or smoke drops can dramatically change the pace of an assault, and one of the most impressive elements of Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is that foundation in not just real-world properties for it’s landmass and player abilities, but also that of tactics. If it would work in real-life, it’ll probably work in Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. A headlong rush into an enemy camp will inevitably be dealt with swiftly, but an orderly, cautious crawl through the surrounding overgrowth, suppressing an enemy while ordering your teammates into a flanking position will be more effective.

Using the environment to your advantage is essential, and more than simply strafing between the walls connecting of an open doorway as with corridor-based shooters. Going prone will provide a steadier aim, but can limit your visibility in long grass, and finding a path allowing rear access to an outpost may theoretically give you the advantage, but if it’s a long march across open ground you’ll most likely meet heavy resistance earlier than you expect. Luckily, when playing alone (the game provides co-operative gameplay for up to four players simultaneously – each taking the role of a different member of the fireteam) your Artificial Intelligence (AI) teammates are fairly reliable. Given a direct order, they will generally obey without problems, however when a more general “assault” command is issued you may find their shots hitting a lot of nothing, leaving you to do most of the legwork. The AI is generally smart enough to respond when called for medical assistance, which is certainly an essential element as there are a few times throughout the campaign that you’ll rely on the feature more than you would probably care to. The occasional bottleneck exists, in which plans will be formulated through trial-and-error rather than composing instinctive assaults, and these moments can become repeatedly infuriating when playing on Hardcore difficulty.

While the default setting provides little more than a one-hit kills scenario, there is an increased likelihood that the first bullet may only graze the player, acting as a warning shot more often than not. Hardcore difficulty, however, removes all remote assistance, and makes that bullet more likely to hit the sweet-spot. All on-screen prompts are removed and the enemies can be deadly while still being a spec on an adjacent ridge. The chance of heroic moments is greatly reduced here, as while Normal difficulty may allow the player a small amount of disregard for the enemy’s effective range, Heroic will quickly see any false move met with deathly consequences.

The range of vehicles available is decidedly broad, though few feel quite as authentic as they perhaps should. They soon prove their worth, as traipsing across the great mass of Skira will inevitably become a lengthy, lifeless experience, and travelling between objectives is generally best performed with a planned route and a predetermined exit strategy. Without these, you may well find yourself a victim of Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising’s often bizarre Checkpoint System. We would advise multiple manual saves, as Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising will occasional break any chance of a successful assault design by saving at a very inopportune moment.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is built using Codemasters’ proprietary EGO Engine, as with the recent Racing releases Colin McRae: DiRT 2 and Fuel, and is distinguishable as a product of the same template. The minimal loading screens provide a series of varying statistics from the entirety of your Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising career, and textures will rarely pop-in at a break in the suspension-of-disbelief. The quality of Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising’s in-game visuals lies somewhere between the two aforementioned Racing titles, with a visual field far more expansive than Fuel, yet more limited in scope than Colin McRae: DiRT 2. The draw-distance is simply stunning and the environments are gorgeously modelled, offering distinctive trends in varying locations across the map, but the Character Models are notably poorer than many recent, perhaps more limited, First-Person Shooter releases and much of the animation is decidedly jerky. The sound quality is magnificent, with bullets popping from their barrels rather than banging and vehicles being instantly recognisable by the sound of their engine. It seems strange that the players’ footsteps make no sound on certain types of terrain, and that swimming seems to do little to alert enemy troops until at reasonably close range, but in reality the player will have little time to consider these advantages.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is undeniably a challenging game. Perhaps the closet videogames have come to depicting a real war zone; mistakes cost lives and only the most skilled will secure victory. But despite this difficulty, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is rarely unfair, with most abrupt endings being obvious in their fault. It’s a game of calculated manoeuvring and pin-point accuracy in executing planned assaults, and to that end there simply is not better game on the market. With three players, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is the ultimate co-operative experience, but alone it’s equally absorbing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.acid-gamers.com

Electronic Theatre In-depth Review: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Page 1 of 1